There are very few beauty products that we can honestly say are cure-alls, but coconut oil comes pretty close.
We just stuck to the beauty applications here, but there are tons more tasks it can handle, from starting fires to losing a few pounds.
- Breath Freshener: Coconut oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties. Gargling for 20 minutes with a spoonful of oil (a.k.a. Oil Pulling) can help clear up germs in the mouth, leading to fresher breath, whiter teeth, and healthier gums.
- Lice Remedy: Start this all-natural lice treatment with a rinse of apple cider vinegar. Once the vinegar has dried, apply coconut oil to the entire head and let it sit for 12 to 24 hours. Brush through hair with a fine comb, then shampoo.
- Body Lotion: If you're a DIY kind of person, then coconut oil is a vanity essential. You can use this versatile oil as the base to make your own body moisturizer.
- Cuticle Oil: Got cracked cuticles? Remedy peeling skin with a coconut oil balm right at the base of nails. It can also help your manicure last longer. Particularly useful for those who do a lot of housework or spend a lot of time in the ocean.
- Makeup-Brush Cleaner: Cleaning your makeup brushes should be a monthly ritual. You can use a DIY cleanser that's two parts antibacterial soap and one-part coconut oil.
- Lip Balm: Coconut oil is the ideal remedy for chapped lips especially because it's semisolid at room temperature. Pack a bit in a miniature jar and smooth over lips throughout the day.
- Stretch-Mark Cream: Expectant moms should keep a jar of coconut oil nearby to help ward off stretch marks, but anyone can use this as a topical treatment for scars. While the oil won't fade any marks, it can help prevent dark spots and blisters from forming.
- Under eye Cream: Don’t want to spend the extra money on eye cream? Use a dab of coconut oil on under eye bags and fine lines. It's light enough for the most delicate skin on your face.
- Body Scrub: Mix half a cup of coconut oil with a handful of coarse salt or sugar to create an exfoliator. The moisturizing oil will last long after the grains have melted away.
- Frizz Tamer: Flyways be gone with this smoothing treatment. Just rub a dime-size amount in your hands and smooth from mid-shaft to ends for frizz-free style that's high on shine.
- Leave-in Conditioner: Hydrate dry hair by using coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner. Apply a small amount to wet strands to seal in moisture.
- Deodorant: Yes, you can make your own natural deodorant at home (and it works). Mix coconut oil with arrowroot powder, cornstarch, baking soda, and a scented oil for a DIY odor fix.
- Shaving Cream: Who said shaving cream has to lather? Use this balm as a base to get a closer shave that leaves legs smooth instead of dried out. You can also use it alone or with other ingredients.
- Dandruff Treatment: Dandruff and dry scalp go hand in hand. So send moisture right to the roots with a nightly coconut oil treatment. Just apply lightly to roots and massage in, which will also stimulate hair growth.
- Itch Relief: Burns, bug bites, and bruises can all be soothed with a topical balm of coconut oil.